It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.
Sony® Mobile Communications AB ("Sony Mobile") is the Sony Mobile group company acting as the data controller in connection with any personal information collected or received by Sony Mobile arising from your use of any Sony Mobile products, services, applications, websites (including any e-commerce stores), and/or contact centers made available to you.
This Policy explains the types of information that we may collect and hold, how that information is used, and with whom the data is shared. It also details how you can contact us if you have any questions or concerns about this information.
Please note that other companies in the Sony Group are responsible for their respective data-processing activities in connection with other Sony products and services. These Sony Group companies may have their own privacy policies, which are generally available from the relevant websites for those products and services.
Click on the relevant section heading to expand that section:
1. Information that we collect
2. How Sony® Mobile uses the information that you provide and that it collects
3. Sharing information about you
4. Linked Sony accounts ("One Sign In")
5. International transfers of your information
6. Marketing communications
7. Security of your personal information
9. Access to your information and your rights
10. Links to third-party sites
11. Children’s privacy
12. California Residents’ Privacy Rights Notice
13. Notice for Residents of Australia
14. Notice for Residents of New Zealand
15. Notice for Residents of Malaysia
16. Notice for Residents of Singapore
17. Contact us
1. Information that we collectclose
What personal information does Sony Mobile collect and where does this information come from?
Sony Mobile may collect information about you in several different ways. Please be attentive when submitting information to us, in particular when completing free text fields, and when uploading content, documents, and other materials. Some of our services are automated, and we may not recognize that you have accidentally provided us with incorrect or sensitive information.
- Information that you provide us with
Whenever you interact with Sony Mobile, you may be asked to provide us with personal information. For example:
- Some of our applications or services require you to create an account. When creating your account(s), we may ask you to provide a range of information, such as your name, date of birth, location, contact details, applicable device ID(s) corresponding to the devices you are using to access and receive particular applications and services, interests and account and marketing preferences, and your current phone service provider
- When you buy, register, send for repair, or return one of our products via any one of our authorized channels, we may ask you to provide information such as your contact details, device ID(s) for your particular product(s), delivery date, place of purchase, and payment information.
- When you contact our customer service centers for assistance (via any means of communication, including written communications or via our website(s), support forums, telephone, email, text messaging (SMS), or our social media channels), we may record any customer service call and keep information about the particular communication, including your name, the product(s) you bought, the reason you contacted us, applicable device ID(s) for your particular product(s), and the advice we gave you so we can track the resolution of any customer service issues and for customer service training purposes.
- When you join and/or participate in one of our loyalty programs, we may collect information relating to your use of the loyalty program and the rewards that you claim.
- When you visit us at a public event, such as trade show or exhibition, or participate in one of our surveys, competitions, or prize drawings, we may ask for information such as your business card, name, contact details, interests, and marketing preferences.
- When you use our applications and services or other platforms, we may receive content that you choose to upload, such as product reviews, comments, photos, forum posts, or details of your interests and preferences that you choose to tell us about when, for example, selecting the services that you wish to receive.
- Information we collect from other sources
We may also collect information from publically available sources and third parties, including:
- When you attempt to make a purchase from us, we may carry out credit and financial checks to ensure payment is not made fraudulently and that you have a suitable credit rating.
- If you buy products or services from a Sony Center, phone service provider, or other retailer, we may receive certain information about your purchase from that retailer.
- We may also receive information about you from other Sony group companies that you interact with; in particular, when you link your accounts for certain Sony group services (for more information about linked Sony accounts, see the "Linked Sony accounts" section 4 below)
- Information we collect in relation to social networks
If you use any of our social network applications, pages, or plug-ins, or if you use one of our products or services that allow interaction with social networks, we may receive information relating to your social network accounts. For instance:
- If you log in to one of our websites, applications, or services using your social network account, we may receive basic details from your social network profile. The basic details we receive may depend on your social network account privacy settings; however, they might include your social network ID, name, profile picture, gender, or location. We may also receive additional information from your profile if you give us permission to access it.
- If you click on a "like", "+1", "tweet", or similar button in one of our websites or services, we may record the fact that you have done so. In addition, the content that you are viewing may be posted to your social network profile or feed. We may receive information about further interactions with this posted content (for example, if your contacts click on a link in the posted content), which we may then associate with the details that we store about you.
- If you "like", "+1", or "tweet" one of our pages on a social network site, we may receive information about your social network profile, depending on your social network account privacy settings.
- Information we collect when you use websites, products, services, and applications from Sony Mobile
In order to provide a better user experience, some of our websites, internet-enabled products, applications, and services provide Sony Mobile with information about how you use them, including:
- Details of your usage patterns, the content (including any advertisements) that you view and interact with, including information on the services and applications you are using on a device, in order to personalize services to your specific needs. For example, when you use our websites, we may collect information about your visit, such as your browser software, which pages you view, and which items you clicked on or added to your shopping cart.
- Service, product, or server logs, which hold technical information about your use of our services, products, or websites, such as your IP address, device ID(s), domain, device and application settings, errors, and hardware activity. We may use your IP address to determine your location/country of origin.
- Device information such as your device ID(s), as well as information about where your device is physically located. For example, when you are using a geo-location service or application and you have provided consent to your location being shared.
- With your explicit consent, information relating to your physical behavior, health, and biometric data such as voice authentication data, fingerprint, or facial characteristics or features.
- Interests and preferences that you specify during setup of the internet-enabled product or service.
- Details of your linked Sony accounts and when and how you used them (for more information about linked Sony accounts, see "Linked Sony accounts"/section 4 below).
2. How Sony Mobile uses the information that you provide and that it collectsclose
How does Sony Mobile use your personal information?
Sony Mobile may use the information that you provide and that it collects for a wide range of purposes, including:
Sony Mobile may use information it collects for the following purposes:
- Provide you with a product or service you have requested (including any back-up or restore service), check that a payment is not made fraudulently, deliver your purchase to you, or ensure that you benefit from any relevant special offer or promotion (and fulfill its obligations under any other agreement it may have with you).
- Fraud prevention and investigation purposes; for example, using device information such as device ID(s) to ensure that any vouchers or discounts relating to any promotions or campaigns are not being redeemed fraudulently, checking that a payment is not made fraudulently.
- Create and manage customer database(s) of its users, including basic account information (such as your name, date of birth, address, and/or contact details), applicable device ID(s) (relating to the device(s) you are using to access and receive particular applications and services), as well as related product or service usage information and customer preference information as provided by you from time to time. As part of our ongoing customer relationship management activities, we may consolidate several databases into one or otherwise link separate databases to more effectively manage your accounts.
- Provide you with software updates (your device will send its device ID to us). These updates may contain critical security and functionality patches that make your phone more secure (protecting all the personal data on your phone) and improve its performance.
- For staff training and quality assurance purposes, particularly in relation to our customer relations staff at our call, email, and other customer support centers.
- Ask for your opinions on Sony Mobile products and services, and conduct product surveys.
- Facilitate and process your searches and requests for information when you contact us about Sony Mobile and its products and services.
- Conduct prize drawings, contests, and other promotional offers.
- Consider your candidacy for employment if you contact us via one of Sony Mobile’s job application websites.
- Checkout assistance service
When you use our applications and services, including any online e-commerce stores such as the Xperia® store, details of any products that you attempt to buy, as well as your email address information, may be collected as you fill in the checkout form. If you do not complete your purchase, we and/or our authorized fulfillment partner(s) may contact you using these details to offer our assistance (in case, for example, you were experiencing technical difficulties that prevented you from completing a transaction). This is an optional service. You can choose to not receive our checkout assistance emails at any time by following the link at the bottom of each assistance email.
- Marketing communications
Sony Mobile and/or other Sony Group companies may use your information to provide you with product and service updates, newsletters, and other communications about existing and/or new products and services by mail, email, telephone, in-device messaging, and/or text message (SMS), if you have provided your prior consent or we are otherwise permitted to do so under applicable law. See the "Marketing communications" section below (section 6) for more details.
- Personalized content, recommendations, and advertisements
- Statistics and Research
Sony Mobile may use your information to create user group profiles or segment data and to otherwise create anonymous, aggregated statistics about the use of our websites, products, services, and loyalty programs, which we may share with third parties and/or make available to the public.
- Product/Services Improvement
Sony Mobile may use your information to improve and enhance existing Sony Mobile products, services, and applications, develop new offerings, recommendations, advertisements, and other communications, and learn more about customers’ shopping preferences in general.
- Publishing your reviews, comments, and content
Where you have uploaded product reviews, comments, or content to our websites or services and made them publicly visible, Sony Mobile may link to, publish, or publicize these materials elsewhere, including in our own advertisements.
Each time you create or reply to a post or thread on a website forum from Sony Mobile, in addition to providing this forum service, we may also record the forum name, the time and date of your post or thread, and your account details. We do this to better understand the "typical users" of our forums and to select or tailor our marketing communications to reflect your forum activity. We do not use the actual content of your forum posts or threads for purposes of sending marketing communications.
- Combining the information we collect
We may link or combine the information that we collect from the different sources outlined above in "Information that we collect" (section 1) above, including information received from other Sony Group companies about your use of other Sony Group products and services. Information may be linked via a unique identifier, such as a cookie or account number (particularly when you link Sony accounts; for more information about linked Sony accounts, see the "Linked Sony accounts" section below). Alternatively, we may decide to combine two or more databases into a single database of customer information. We may do this for your and/or our convenience (for example, to allow you to more easily register for a new service), to allow us to provide a more seamless customer support experience whenever you contact us, and to provide you with better, more personalized services, content, marketing, and ads.
3. Sharing information about youclose
How is information about you shared within Sony and with third parties?
- Sharing of information by Sony Mobile
In general, Sony Mobile does not disclose information about you to third parties without your consent. However, there are exceptions:
- Other Sony Group companies
- Sony Centers
If you choose to buy products or services from a Sony Center (whether in store, through our website, or over the phone), Sony Mobile may share your purchase information with that Sony Center. Your purchase information may be combined with other data that the Sony Center in question holds about you as a customer, such as details of other purchases you have made.
- Our service providers
We may use other Sony Group companies and/or third-party service providers to provide certain data processing services for us, acting as our authorized data processors. Examples of authorized data processors include billing and fulfillment partners, who are data analytics providers who process information on our behalf for the purposes outlined above. For example, we may use the services of third parties to personalize content, fulfill orders, deliver packages, send mail and emails, send text messages (SMS), provide marketing assistance, process credit card payments, provide fraud-checking services, and/or provide customer services.
When acting as our authorized data processors, our service providers (including Sony Group companies) are required to only process data in accordance with our instructions, in line with this Policy, and are subject to appropriate confidentiality and security obligations.
- Third-Party Advertising Partners
- Third-party newsletters
If you request or agree to receive information or newsletters from one of our business partners, we may provide that third party with your details so that they can contact you and/or respond to your request.
- Legal and business purposes
We may use and/or disclose to third parties information about you: (i) to government bodies and law enforcement agencies to prevent fraud, to comply with applicable laws, regulations and court orders, and to comply with valid legal information requests from such bodies, (ii) to third parties (including professional advisors) to enforce or defend the legal rights of any Sony group company or the terms and conditions of any Sony product or service, (iii) to a third party purchaser or seller and its and our professional advisors, in connection with a corporate event such as a merger, business acquisition, or insolvency situation
- Anonymous statistics
We prepare anonymous, aggregate, or generic data (including "generic" statistics) for a number of purposes as outlined above. As we consider that you cannot reasonably be identified from this information, we may share it with any third party (such as our partners, advertisers, industry bodies, the media, and/or the general public).
- Other Sony Group companies
- Sharing of information provided by you
A number of our applications and services allow you to upload and share messages, photos, videos, and other content or links and/or to create a publicly accessible profile for your account. For example:
- The communities and forums area (where applicable) of our websites allows you to post comments (with your account name), which are visible to other users of that service.
- Other services allow you to share a link, which if clicked on may allow the recipient to access your uploaded content.
Please be aware that any content or links that you share via Sony Mobile’s applications and services might, for instance, be forwarded by your recipients to others. You should always exercise discretion when using such applications and services. We ask our users to take responsibility for protecting their own privacy online and to also respect the privacy of others. Participants of any communities, forums, or message boards are prohibited from disclosing their own personally identifying information (other than their own online IDs). Disclosure of phone numbers, addresses, age, or other personally identifying information that may violate someone else’s privacy is prohibited. Encouraging or asking users to publicly disclose their personally identifying information is also prohibited.
4. Linked Sony accounts ("One Sign In")close
What are linked Sony accounts and how are they used?
Your accounts for different Sony applications and services can be linked together so you can use the same login details (email address and password) to access them all ("One Sign In"). Other basic account details are also synchronized across your linked accounts so you can manage your accounts more easily.
- How are they used by Sony Group companies?
However, Sony Group companies may generally use information relating to your linked Sony accounts for the following purposes:
- Linking accounts/synchronized basic account details. We will share basic account details with another Sony group company when you:
- link your account for our services with your account for that Sony Group company’s service(s) or
- make changes to your basic account details (as these details are synced, changes will automatically be made across all of your linked accounts).
- Customer Support. When you have linked accounts for Sony services, any Sony call, email, or other support center for those services may access your basic account details to handle your queries. As above, changes you make via customer support will automatically be made across all of your linked accounts.
- Notification of news, competitions, and offers from Sony. You may be offered the opportunity to sign up to receive information about Sony group news, competitions, and offers. If you do, companies in the Sony Group may send you their news, offers, and information about competitions, and may use your linked Sony accounts to make this information more relevant to you.
- Customer analysis information relating to your linked accounts may be collated and analyzed by the Sony group (in a manner that does not directly identify you) for product and service development, business promotion, and research purposes and the results shared with other Sony group companies and third parties (even if you do not use any of their services).
In the event you wish to cancel or terminate some or all of your linked accounts, you will need to follow the account cancellation process for each individual service or account you wish to cancel. It will not be possible for you to cancel some or all of your linked accounts by contacting just one Sony Group company. Each Sony Group company can only process and finalize account cancellation requests for their own particular services.
5. International transfers of your informationclose
How does Sony Mobile transfer information about you to other countries?
Sony Mobile is part of the Sony Group, which is a global organization. For the purposes explained in this Policy, your information (including your linked account details—for more information about linked Sony accounts, see "Linked Sony accounts"/section 4) may be transferred to Sony Group companies (including service providers operating on their behalf) and other third parties in countries that do not have the same level of data protection laws as those in the country where you are located. However, each of these Sony Group companies (and their authorized data processors) will comply with Sony Mobile’s internal policy related to the processing of personal data, which adheres to the key data protection principles of fair handling of personal data and ensuring adequate levels of personal data protection.
6. Marketing communicationsclose
How does Sony Mobile use your personal information to send you marketing communications, and how can you change your marketing preferences?
When you provide us with contact details, such as when you buy a product, contact one of our customer support call centers, or create an account for one of our services, you may be given the opportunity to opt in to (or in cases where applicable law allows, opt out of) receiving various newsletters and other communications from Sony Mobile and/or other Sony Group companies. These communications may include, for example, details about the latest Sony products and services, including upgrades and special offers that may interest you.
You can change your marketing communication preferences at any time:
- If you would like to unsubscribe from an email sent to you, follow the "unsubscribe" link and/or instructions placed (typically) at the bottom of the email. However, please note that:
- If you use more than one email address to shop or contact Sony Mobile, you will need to unsubscribe separately for each email address.
- This method will only unsubscribe you from email communications. You will need to separately unsubscribe for each type of marketing communication you receive.
- If you have registered with any applications or services provided by Sony Mobile, and you have your own account, you may log in and amend your marketing communication preferences in the account settings page or area.
- You can contact us using the details in the "Contact us" section below if you wish to change your marketing communication preferences.
Please note that we may occasionally send you important information (including via email) about Sony Mobile products and services that you are using or have used, including essential software updates, changes to applicable terms and conditions, and/or other communications or notifications as may be required to fulfill our legal and contractual obligations to provide warranty or after-sales repair services.
These important product and/or service communications are not affected by your marketing communication preferences.
7. Security of your personal informationclose
How does Sony Mobile protect your personal information, and what can you do to protect yourself?
- What we do to protect your information
While Sony Mobile cannot guarantee that unauthorized access will never occur, rest assured that Sony Mobile takes great care in maintaining the security of your personal data to prevent unauthorized access to it through the use of appropriate technology and internal procedures. We take a number of steps to protect your information from unauthorized access, use, or alteration and unlawful destruction, including where appropriate:
- Using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive information, such as credit card details (SSL encryption is designed to make the data unreadable by anyone but us).
- Limiting access to the information we collect about you (for example, only granting access to those personnel who need your information to carry out our business activities).
- Putting in place physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in line with industry standards.
- What you should do to protect your information
As general best practice on the internet, it is recommended that individuals take great care with user accounts, and follow some basic rules:
- Do not use trivial passwords (such as single dictionary words)
- Do not use the same password for multiple accounts.
- Do use very long passwords (at least 10 characters, but preferably much longer)
- Do use passwords that contain a combination of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters (for example, $%^&), etc.
- Do store passwords securely (never write them down or share them with anyone) and change your passwords periodically.
What are cookies, and how are they used?
Our websites use industry-wide technologies such as "cookies" to collect information about the use of our websites and email communications. For instance, these technologies may tell us which visitors clicked on key elements (such as links or graphics) on a website or email and then recognize your browser the next time you visit our websites.
Cookies allow us to customize your experience to better match your interests and preferences, or to simply facilitate your sign in process when using the services. Most browsers will allow you to erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block acceptance of cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. However, if you block or erase cookies, we may not be able to restore any preferences or customization settings you have previously specified, and our ability to personalize your online experience would be limited. Please refer to your browser instructions to learn more about these functions.
9. Access to your information and your rightsclose
How can you access your personal information, and what are your rights?
If you would like a copy of the personal information that we store about you in our customer databases, please contact us using the details given in the "Contact us" section below. You may be asked to provide some proof of identification so that we can verify that it is you making the request. We reserve the right, subject to applicable law, to charge a fee (subject to any cap on fees as required by applicable law) for inspection of your personal data held by us.
This is in addition to your legal rights, including the right to access a copy of your personal information, the right to request the deletion or updating of any inaccurate personal data, and the right to object, in some cases, to our processing of your personal data. You can exercise these rights by contacting us with the details provided in the "Contact us" section below.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as is reasonably necessary for the various purposes set out in section 2 above, or to otherwise comply with any applicable laws and regulations concerning the mandatory retention of certain types of information related to our customers and/or any commercial transactions with them. Should any personal data held by us no longer be required by us for any of the purposes set out in section 2 above, "How Sony Mobile uses the information that it collects", we will undertake reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify any personal data after a reasonable period of time has elapsed.
If you are concerned that we have not complied with your legal rights or applicable privacy laws, you may contact your local data protection authority.
10. Links to third-party sitesclose
While Sony Mobile tries to link only to sites that share Sony Mobile’s high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content, security, or privacy practices of those third-party websites. We strongly encourage you to view the privacy and cookie policies displayed on those third-party websites to find out how your personal information may be used.
11. Children’s privacyclose
Sony Mobile considers a child to be anyone under the age of 16. We do not knowingly seek or collect personal information from or about children in contravention of any applicable laws and regulations.
If Sony Mobile becomes aware that personal information that has been submitted to it relates to a child in contravention of any applicable laws and regulations, Sony Mobile will make reasonable efforts to:
- Delete that personal information from its files as soon as possible.
- Ensure, where deletion is not possible, that this personal information is not used for any other purpose, nor disclosed further to any third party.
Any parent or guardian who has questions regarding how we have processed personal information relating to their child should contact us with the details provided in the "Contact us" section.
12. California Residents’ Privacy Rights Noticeclose
Residents of California have the right to receive: a) information identifying any third party company/companies to whom Sony Mobile may have disclosed, within the past year, personal information pertaining to you for direct marketing purposes, and b) a description of the categories of personal information disclosed. Please email your request to Contact us.
"Do Not Track" Signals. Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a so-called "Do Not Track" signal to websites and online services you visit. Sony Mobile currently does not alter its practices when it receives a "Do Not Track" signal. More information is available at http://www.allaboutdnt.com. Also note that third parties may collect personal information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you visit our websites or other online websites and services.
13. Notice for Residents of Australiaclose
In relation to Section 5 above, "International transfers of your information", we will disclose your personal information to parties in a number of countries, including Singapore, New Zealand, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom, Sweden, and Belgium. From time to time, we will need to disclose your personal information to parties in other countries not listed. This will be on an ad-hoc or case-by-case basis and for the purposes for which we collected your personal information.
Complaints: If you are concerned that we have not complied with your legal rights or applicable privacy laws, you may make a complaint internally through our complaints process, or you may decide to make a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au (the regulator responsible for privacy in Australia). We will deal with complaints in the following way:
- Step 1: let us know about it
If you would like to make a complaint, you should let us know by contacting our PIM Officer at email@example.com or by using the details set out in section 17 below ("Contact us"). Step 2: the complaint is investigated
Your complaint will be investigated by our PIM Officer. A written response to your complaint will be provided within a reasonable period. Step 3: contact the OAIC
We expect our procedures to deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. However, if you remain dissatisfied, you can also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner as follows:
- Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
- Complaints must be made in writing.
- Tel: 1300 363 992
- Address: Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
- Web: www.oaic.gov.au
14. Notice for Residents of New Zealandclose
Nothing herein shall limit the rights of customers under the Privacy Act 1993. All instructions regarding your data and queries from you will be followed up and answered by us as soon as possible.
15. Notice for Residents of Malaysiaclose
A data subject has the following rights under the Act:
- i. Request for access to personal data held relating to the individual, the purpose for which the personal data is being used, and those to whom it has or can be disclosed;
- ii. Prevent data processing that is likely to cause distress or damage;
- iii. Take reasonable action to stop the use of, rectify, erase, and/or dispose of inaccurate personal data; and
- iv. Withdraw their consent given to Sony Mobile.
16. Notice for Residents of Singaporeclose
- Write in: Data Protection Officer Sony Mobile Communications International AB, Singapore Branch 2 International Business Park, #01-10 Tower One, The Strategy Singapore 609930
Sony Mobile will generally be able to respond to such queries and/or requests within 30 days.
If you withdraw your consent to any or all use of your Personal Data, depending on the nature of your request, Sony Mobile may not be able to continue to provide its products and/or services to you.