It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.
Claims and Test Results
The claims on these pages are mainly based on results from tests conducted by Strategy Analytics, an independent global company specialising in market analysis. In some cases, tests were also conducted in laboratories at Sony Mobile Communications Inc.
All claims were verified at the time of testing. However, as the mobile landscape changes quickly and new phone models are released on a continuous basis, we cannot guarantee that all claims are still valid as you read this. Please see the date specified at the bottom of each claim and test specification for reference.
For more information on Strategy Analytics, please visit the Strategy Analytics homepage.
In June 2014, Strategy Analytics conducted an independent consumer test evaluating the quality of images captured by the front-facing camera of the Xperia C3 device and all leading competitors. After analysing the results of this test, the following claims were found to be supported:
“The World’s Best Selfie Smartphone”
“The World’s Best Smartphone for Selfies”
*Based on the results of a blind assessment of images captured by Xperia C3 against leading flagship smartphones and selfie-optimized devices, based on overall results and overall comparisons as rated by 200 Chinese smartphone buyers. Research was conducted by Strategy Analytics between 20-23 June 2014.
Summary of Key Findings
- The images captured by the front facing camera of Xperia C3 in a range of typical “selfie” scenarios were considered better than those from all leading flagship competitor smartphones and selfie-optimized devices.
- 50% of consumers ranked images captured by Xperia C3 as their most preferred – higher than those captured by all other leading smartphones and selfie-optimized devices.
- In head-to-head comparison against each competitor device individually, more consumers preferred the image captured by Xperia C3 than by the competitor.
Summary of Results
Methodology – Imaging Assessment
- Strategy Analytics’ researchers captured images taken by Xperia C3 and 11 competitor devices in six different scenarios. Competitor devices were defined in two groups:
- Apple iPhone 5S, HTC One M8, LG G2, Nokia Lumia 1020 and Samsung Galaxy S5. These were determined by Strategy Analytics to be the leading flagship devices of global competitors in terms of sales volume in Q2 2014.
- Oppo N1, Vivo Y20, HTC Desire 816, Huawei G8, Gionee E7, Lenovo Viber Z. These were determined by Strategy Analytics in April 2014 to be the leading devices that are designed to be, or marketed as, optimized for selfies.
- Scenarios were:
- Selfie of one individual Indoors (regular light),
- Selfie of a group of three people (regular light),
- Selfie of one individual in front of a window (backlit),
- Selfie of one individual indoors (very low light),
- Selfie of two people outdoors (regular light),
- Selfie taken at night under street lighting
- All device settings were configured as “out of box”. Flash was set to “auto” on all device. No pre- or post-editing applications were used. In each scenario, the researchers captured three images with each device and selected the sharpest image for inclusion.
- 200 consumers assessed the quality of the images produced in each of the six scenarios, by each of the smartphones
- Equal numbers of consumers evaluated the images created in three different formats: printed out on A6 glossy photo paper; on the displays of the device itself; and on a large screen (40”) HD monitor
- To eliminate bias, the device names and brands were hidden from consumers and the images were only identified by letter (A, B, C, D and E). The order of exposure was counterbalanced.
- Participants rated each image on a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 = very poor and 5 = very good for ‘overall picture quality’, and then selected the single image that they considered to be “best overall”.
- Fieldwork was conducted over a period of two days (20th and 23rd June 2014) in Shenzhen, China.
- The actual images captured by each smartphone (and assessed by consumers) are included in this report.
- On average, consumers rated all images captured by Xperia C3 as 3.5/5 for ‘overall image quality’.
- By comparison, all competitors were rated 3.0/5 on average or less.
- In 50% of cases, consumers rated images captured by Xperia C3 as either “Good (4/5)” or “Very Good (5/5)”.
- By comparison, images captured by competitor devices were rated good or very good in 42% of cases or less.
- In head-to-head comparison against each competitor device individually, more consumers who expressed a preference preferred the image captured by Xperia C3 than by any competitor.
Findings by Scenario:
Selfie of One Individual Indoors (Regular Light)
About these tests
Although great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy and completeness of this data, Strategy Analytics is unable to accept any legal responsibility for any actions taken on the basis of the information contained therein. Circulation or disclosure of this data, in whole or in part, outside of the authorised recipient organisations is expressly forbidden without the prior written permission of Strategy Analytics.