Can I use my SIM card to transfer contacts to my new phone?
Yes, but we recommend that you use the PC Companion application to transfer your contacts into your new phone, since you may lose information if you use the SIM card.
To import contacts from a SIM card
- From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon, then tap the Contacts icon.
- If this is the first time you import contacts, tap Import > SIM card.
- If you’ve imported contacts before, press the Menu key, then tap Import contacts > SIM card.
- If you have set up a synchronisation account, you can choose to add the SIM card contacts under that account. Or you can choose to only use these contacts in the phone. Select your desired option.
- To import an individual contact, find and tap the contact. To import all contacts, tap Import all.
You can use a PC to transfer contacts from several phone brands, including iPhone, Samsung, HTC and Nokia.
- An Internet-connected PC running Windows®
- A USB cable for your old phone
- A USB cable for your new Android™ phone
- Your old phone
- Your new Android™ phone
If you are transferring contacts using a PC, use the PC Companion program. It’s free, and the installation files are already saved on your new phone. PC Companion also offers a range of other features, including help to update your phone software.
Note: If you install PC Companion on a PC running the Microsoft® Windows® 7 operating system, make sure that the AutoPlay setting is enabled.To enable the AutoPlay setting on a computer running Microsoft® Windows® 7 operating system
- Click Start > Control Panel. In the search box, type “autoplay”, and then click AutoPlay.
- Mark the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices checkbox.
To install PC Companion
- Turn on your new Android™ phone and connect it to a PC using a USB cable.
- New phone: Tap Install to install PC Companion on the PC.
- Computer: If a pop-up window that appears notifies you about available PC Software, select Run Startme.exe.
- Computer: Click Install to start the installation and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
Tip: PC Companion is also available for download from the PC Companion download page.
To transfer contacts to your new phone using PC Companion
- Make sure that PC Companion is installed on your PC.
- Open the PC Companion program on the PC, then click Contacts Setup and follow the instructions to transfer your contacts.
Did you find this information helpful?
Thanks, we appreciate your input!